Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Netball - the non-contact sport

Shiner_9.jpg

Who said netball was a non-contact sport!


I got this shiner last night playing GD.  I copped an elbow to the cheekbone, just under my eye.

And boy, did it hurt!

This pic is after having ice on it for about an hour - it was much larger before.  When it first happened I had my hand over my face, as you do, and when I took it off, there was much amazement at the egg that had suddenly grown on my face!

And you know what... I got called for contact!!!  I'm not sure what the umpire thought I did wrong... lol...

Will do an updated pic later - my eye is less swollen, but more black now... :)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

eeeouch!!

Anonymous said...

netball has become something of a farce where the non contact rule is concerned. It is now a case of which ever team is the most deft at exploiting this rule will win, at least at international level.

It has sadly reached a point that most international referees are unable to call contacts with accuracy and consistency leaving the said most exploitive team an advantage.
No one is suggesting vigorous play should not be a part of this exciting sport, just that an ineffectual penalty for a repeated and blatant and deliberate contact in a non contact sloprt has long since turned netball into the afore mentioned farcical display and leaves players, referees and viewers at a loss as to where this sport is heading.

The non contact status doubtless must remain otherwise players can resort to all manner of sculdugery. But this imasculation of referees which now desparately requires a new tack if we are to see international Netball retain its composure. Refs must be empowered with the specific directive to send a player off for repeat offending, something which currently does not happen except in rare instances.

parie sportif said...

Good Information, appreciate you expression !