Friday, November 23, 2007

Done and dusted!

Well, I could nearly cry... it's all over, and we're back home.

Firstly, before I recap anything, let me share with you my claim to fame...
It’s available to view on-line via the TVNZ website (free of charge): http://tvnz.co.nz/content/?o=&k=&style=tvnz&s=d&b=2007-11-31T00%3A00%3A00&a=2007-11-01T00%3A00%3A00&ct=video&ayear=2007&amonth=11&byear=2007&bmonth=11&q=finals (the story is titled ‘Netball quarter finals in sight’).

Word of warning, I don't 'normally' talk like that I'm sure... but I was very nervous!

Now, back to the recap.... as you saw from Mum's post, the Jamaicans nearly bumped NZ out of their Grand Finals chance - and were, for the most of the game, the better team. I was SO impressed at how they played - not anywhere near the normal brutal game - I always thought they'd be dangerous if they ever got some control - and they were! Luckily for both teams they also got the best umpires - which made the game about netball, not rugby, as Mum stated.

Not so lucky for the Grand Finals... what a nail biter! I heard there were 3 heart attacks at the venue - and I think that was just my heart stopping all the time! Kerry and I managed to choke the life out of FOUR of the Aussie clappers - and Mum ended up a blubbering mess at the end of the game. I'm sure Jodie has finger marks where Mum was sqeezing her!

The umpiring was ... well... let me think of a more appropriate 4 letter words.... Nup, can't... we'll go with 'inadequate' and honestly, very lopsided. Bodies flew everywhere, not call, or worse, the WRONG call. Then, there was wee little hand brushes that WERE called! Go figure????

But the girls pulled through, battered but not beaten - we were SO proud. And, you're not going to believe this, but Norma GRINNED and waved to us!!! You could see this title meant the world to Liz as she tried to compose herself before being interviewed - she was nearly as emotional as Mum... nearly!

On the bus trip home, I was nearly in tears as I realised it was all over, and our little 'routine' was shattered. No more hot bread shop, no more date scones, no more cooked breakfasts... no more Aussie, Aussie Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi! No more time with our new friends.....

However, we did finish the trip off really nicely.... we got to NZ international airport about the same time as the team did - and at about the same place - so we got to cheer them off, and give Liz a huge round of applause as she came in with the world cup with her luggage! And then, they were all drifting around the duty free shopping while we were there.... so hard not to fun up and make a scene!

Well, that's all for now.... Back to reality.... and the Runaways AGM... *sigh*...

No comments: