Sunday, January 10, 2010

Life, and computers are difficult sometimes!

Why aren't things a little easier? I've been working hard over the past week or so to revise the book I've written "The Colour Book" so that it can finally be published. Busted my butt!! But, it seems that hard work isn't always rewarded.

To start with, I had to battle with my computer for 2 solid days, just to get it to install my Adobe suite of products after they decided that they would have a 'catastrophic' error!! Finally got them up and running, and went out to buy new cartridges for my printer.... much money later, I find out that it's not printing because it needs a service, NOT new cartridges. Sheesh!

Anyways, spent about 15 hours slaving through changes and updates to the book, with a nagging feeling that I'd done all this before. Got to Chapter 11 (of 12 chapters) and opened an old pdf to compare the new words with the old ones... only to see that YES I HAD made the wonderful changes I was making AGAIN! Now these were not easy, fix that typo, changes, they were rebuilding graphics to go with the text, which I was also changing.

So where did these pdf's come from, if I don't have the original InDesign files on my computer. I've already pulled my Matisse hard disk drive from storage to check there - and nope, not there either. Finally found the files on ANOTHER external hard drive!!!

So now this means I need to go through chapters 1-10 and check both documents to see what's different, and combine any changes I've made. I've saved chapters 11 & 12 over the older files, as I hadn't checked them, and in doing so, realised I'm missing FONTS. Grrr.... ARRRRGGGGHHHH!

Please, please, please, can something just work? It's so damn frustrating to be redoing everything from scratch! I seem to be constantly sorting out one thing so that I can find the next thing that needs fixing. I just want to DO IT!!!

On a positive note, the magic 8 ball says I can be confident that the book WILL be published.

1 comment:

AngC said...

LOL! Good to see you blogging again Michelle..... I hope to see your book published... I'll buy it. :)