Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Grandma

This is my Grandma and my Mum. I took these photos a couple of years ago for a Uni project I did for photography called Mother Mother.

I just think Mum and Grandma look so cute together here.

Which brings me to the sad news. My Grandma is in hospital at the moment, and they have told us that it's only a matter of time before we lose her.

Which just sucks! I spent most of last night up at the hospital with her, and went up again this morning - and this wonderfully strong, noble woman is gone. She's just this shell of a person - who breathes and doesn't do a lot else. I don't know if she is aware of anyone anymore, but if she is, she doesn't seem to be able to let us know. It's sad, but what's worse is watching my Mum. That hurts - Mum and I are great mates, and I just want to be strong for her, so she doesn't have to be.


But enough of the morbid stuff. Let me tell you why I love this pic on the left. This shows things just as I remember them. They've been this way since I was a little girl. Grandma at the table, with bottles and jars of lollies, biscuits, dried fruit - many things to feed you with.

At the back is the piano - I don't know if ANYONE could play it, but it is a great place for the photos. I love looking at the old photos - especially of Mum and her brothers and sisters. I love seeing their children in their faces. And of course, Les' paintings on the wall - pride of place. But best of all - a cuppa and a chat.


Can you believe this woman is over 80 years old? Where are her grey hairs? Up until a fall a bit over a year ago, Grandma was a very strong woman. She still mowed her yard, still did the groceries, still did all Uncle Les' washing.... it's shattering to see it slide so quickly.

Only the other day, Mum was saying that she hoped she didn't ever become a burden to me - and I told her that I hoped she lived long enough to be a burden to me, because the alternative was much worse.

And, as I said to Mum, Grandma's 86. This last year has been Mum's payment for having her in her life for so long. For being so lucky. Grandad died before I was born, and I know if Mum had the choice, she'd put up with the past year to have had him until he was 85 too.

Here's to Grandma. We are all secretly hoping you'll rally around and come back to us - we know it's not a rational thought... but it keeps us going.

Love you Grandma.

2 comments:

Julie said...

They are precious photos Michelle - and am glad to hear they invoke happy memories in you.
Take care....

Ali Russell said...

Oh Shelle....
I am sos orry to hear she is unwell. Thinking of you all ! Spend as much time with her as you can. Those photos are just so precious!
Chat soon
Ali x x x