Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Coming a 'gutsa'

Well today has been a bit of a ho hum kinda day. You know, a green light, but with someone waiting to turn... ;)

I had to have a blood test this morning - and I really don't like them at all. But I know it's got to be done... I have deep veins and low blood pressure, which means, when they finally find the one vein that's been trained - it takes forever for them to get the blood they need.

So today I walk in for the test, and tell the (nurse? technician?) which arm it is that she has to use.... and she spends quite a while prodding and poking.... and then asks me if I was SURE it was this arm. I show he the other, and she sees reason and rips the tip off the finger of her glove and keeps trying. Eventually she finds the one elusive vein.....

Now, I try really hard to pretend like it doesn't phase me... but it does... and I must get some sort of freaked out look on my face... (the dentist always notices it too...) because she actually looked very alarmed and asked me a few times if I was going to be SICK!!!

But it's done now... phew!

Tonight I umpired, played and then umpired netball again. And in the third quarter of my play game, I came a literal gutsa. Imagine this (for those that can)... I step deftly around my player and deflect the incoming pass using all the correct movements - perfect intercept in the making... and I go to follow through on my touch of the ball when next thing I know I've been tripped and fallen SO heavily - flat on my stomach. It was a really heavy fall - like my legs were just taken out from under me - no stumbling, not scrambling just vertical one minute, and horizontal the next - and like Wile E Coyote - with that frozen second hanging mid air, knowing I'm going down.

I hope I pull up OK tomorrow - I have a grazed knee - not too bad - but my back and pelvis are starting to complain - and really, I'm surprised my insides are still inside... but I don't want to not do gym tomorrow because I missed out today already because of the blood test. Perhaps just the walking machine if nothing else.... or the cycle... but I WANT to do the weights... I enjoy them.

Oh, and if anyone's looking for something to paint - check out the cute reindeer ornaments Anne Cahill did for the latest Hue Review (online at www.matisse.com.au ). My painting ladies and I had a great time last night painting up our own versions - way too cute!!!

OK... that's all for now...

1 comment:

Narelle said...

Hope you are not going to end up too black and blue from your fall. Pride hurt a bit too I bet!