Friday, September 22, 2006

What is success?

I've been thinking about what I think success is - and how do you measure how successful you are? When my school reunion came up quite a few years ago, I didn't attend. I didn't feel I had anything much to be proud of. Sure, I'd completed Uni, but I didn't get a job related to my studies (teaching) and my current work wasn't something that sounded particularly awe inspiring.

However, I know there were people who would have considered me successful. I had a family. I had a job. I had love in my life.

So, why didn't I think I was successful? Was it because other people I had gone to school with were now doctors (oh, yes, I did all the 'smart' subjects at school). Was it because I felt like I hadn't gone anywhere with my life? Perhaps. If you had asked me then though, I would have told you that I found my job challenging, interesting and worthwhile. So why didn't I think other people would see it that way. Because it wasn't paid enough - pure and simple.

Since then, I have enjoyed a LOT of success in my life. So much, so fast, that I have been holding my breath waiting for the bubble to burst! I feel like I've had the chance to start over in my career - and the speed at which it is blossoming is frightening! And exciting! I spent 10 years of my working life being told my ideas were too hard, not right... or simply too scary for the other people I was working with. I spent all my time being told no. Nowdays, I am heard, I am listened to, and I have influence in the big decisions. Sometimes I even make them!

So, what is success to me now? In my career, it's a job where I feel valuable. At home, it's balancing my life to be able to give my children what they need financially, and being there enough to give them the love they need. In the rest of my life it's the freedom to explore and learn.

Occassionally I will look to the left or right and see people that are earning more money than me, or seem to be more successful. I need to remind myself at those times that it's MY choice not to pursue my career to the detriment of my family. I know in my heart that if we moved to the 'big smoke' I could earn a much higher wage - but at what cost?

It's my choice to be successful in what I choose to be successful in - a bit of everything, and not too much of anything.

No comments: