Friday, September 01, 2006

Reading the signs...

Some people believe in Astrology, others see 'signs' in everyday life, in their tea leaves, the pain in their joints etc - and I'm sure there's many, many other ways people try to predict how things are going to pan out for the day.

For me, it's traffic lights.

Yep, the old red, orange and green ones.

Try it... when you're driving around town, and you come to a traffic light, what happens? Does it stay green when you expect it to turn red? Do ALL of them turn red as you approach? Do they change to orange as you approach, but always too late for you to stop?

Today, the traffic lights all changed to red for me. But I wasn't too bothered by it - I was kinda expecting it. Which I interperetted as "today things will not be all smooth sailing, everything you do will involve some sort of roadblock - you're not going anywhere fast - but you already know that' or some such.

So, I woke late and it was raining. I should have had to rush to take the kids to school, but both of them are sick with a cough (red light). Which meant I had to take them to the pathology lab where I had to have a blood test. So I dawdled a little more, had a shower etc and drove over to the southside lab (the northside one is closer, but parking is hard). You cannot make an appointment, and I had to fast for the test, so I needed to be there in the morning. When I got there the place was packed and I ended up waiting nearly an hour for a 2 minute blood test (red light). But I kinda expected that....

Anyway, I'm home and I'm tired. And I'm going to bed. I constantly 'soldier on' because I work from home, and therefore I can. But, if this was a normal day at a normal job, I'd have called in sick - either to look after the children, or to have the tests. So today, I'm calling in sick (parking the car, no more red lights please).

No comments: